Re: Attempt to run debootstrap

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 08:21:43AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Thursday 23 February 2017 06:10:44 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 10:58:49AM +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 February 2017 17:32:46 Richard Owlett wrote:
> > Learn to love apt-get. I does some things more conveniently than a
> > GUI can. YMMV ;!
>
> aptitude is great on the command line.  And does some things (but
> not all) more conveniently than apt-get. Besides, it is NOT a GUI
> application.  It can be run as a TUI. </plug>

Most definitely. I use both: for search and show, I love aptitude
(perhaps some familiarity factor). For install/remove I use apt-get:
its more simple-minded resolution algorithm is essential to cope
with the Frankendebian horror shows I tend to throw at it (aptitude
tends to ponder for a while and proposes to rip out 3/4 of that
mess :-)

Unfortunately, for me aptitude has elected to rip out something like 272
packages too many times, some of which were the heart of the os. I let
it do it once on a machine I could afford to lose.  I had to reinstall.
Its caused me to do 3 re-installs, so I might look at what it says, but
then I reboot the machine from another terminal because one of those
re-installs was caused by a simple q for quit, but it just had to "fix"
things before it would quit. By the time I could get to the hdwe reset
button it was too late and after the re-install another day or so
getting all my data restored via my amanda backups. The point is that
aptitude did NOT show me what it was about to do until it was doing it.

That's odd. If you're in the TUI, aptitude should give you a list of actions on the first press of 'g' and only start the actions on the second press of 'g'.

Ah... You CAN turn these prompts on and off.

For the TUI, the option is "Aptitude::Display-Planned-Action" (default is on). For the CLI, there is " Aptitude::CmdLine::Always-Prompt" (default is *off*).

So I am very cautious about telling aptitude to do _anything_ that would
cause a disk write other that a refresh from the servers.

So love to both. And they regularly grow features seen on the other.

regards
-- t

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)