Re: Did I blow my processor?

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 08:37:11 AM Dan Purgert wrote:
> GiaThnYgeia wrote:
> > Never a good idea, there are cheap tools of measuring current, a short
> > can blow a good power source/transformer.  How do you check industrial 3
> > phase 440V, just ground it with a train rail see if there are any sparks.
>
> Hint - that's exactly what the on switch does.
>
> Granted we're talking 5V with a max current of 1-2mA or somesuch, and not
> 440VAC.  It's no more dangerous than touching the red and black leads of
> a battery holder[1] to a small lightbulb (such as used in a flashlight,
> model car, etc.) or a LED to verify it works / you have polarity right.
> Actually, given that it's limited to 1-2mA, it's probably SAFER than
> said battery-holder (since most dry-cell batteries can supply 2A
> current, albeit for a very short amount of time).

I agree that giving advice like touching the switch pins with a screwdriver is
a bad idea--among other things, somebody might "learn" from that and try it
under more dangerous circumstances.

(And, do you remember the days when computer on-off switches controlled the 120
VAC to the power supply?  Granted, you could do the same thing semi-safely,
but make sure the screwdriver blade doesn't touch the grounded chassis or some
other grounded piece of metal work--those switches always seemed to be very
inaccessible.)

> And to ensure the motherboard isn't the culprit, you can always connect
> the PS_ON (green) wire (in the 20/24-pin connector)any GND pin (black
> wire) with a short length of wire.

In case it is not clear, you do this by unplugging the 20/24 pin cable from
the power supply and then note if the fan starts running.  (Unless I
misunderstand what Dan is suggesting.