Re: User-oriented backup tools

On 16/02/2017 12:04, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> Now if you are talking about "Real Snapshots" (i.e. files don't change
> during backup and stuff)

> With rsync you'll always have some skew (i.e. the world is changing
> while the backup is running).

Well, with the word "snapshot" I meant a "dump" of all my personal data
by daily basis. Currently I don't need to backup any additional db,
except for Thunderbird's and Firefox's ones. It should be ok to backup
those with no hassles via rsync or it can lead to any problems? in other
words: can rsync make a good backup of all my '~', including databases
of application like FF and TB (also if they're running)?

> I had such a contraption running at a customer's (many moons ago) which made
> hourly backups and kept two week's worth of backups: just at top level there
> was a directory structure indexed by date/time and below a whole tree of
> their data. I exported it (read only!) via Samba, and from there on, they
> "Just Knew" what they had to do when they inadvertently busted That Important
> File.

Yes, this is a useful method I can think about, and it is almost the
same thing described in mike rubel's article linked in my first message.
It should be ok, maybe with some scripting and scheduling via cron.

Ps. is it ok to pgp sign messages on a mailinglist? I'm asking just
because I did so in the first post, but don't know if it's ok or
compliant with m/l policy.

--
fp
pgp: 0x45399C26