Flickering screen on login/off shutdown

AMD64 Stretch LXDE
In recent weeks when logging in from start or from a screensaver login
or when hitting the shutdown/reboot .. I notice a brief (maybe 1/2 sec)
flickering of the screen.  This doesn't appear or happen with anything
else, I don't think it relates to monitor re-adjustment ... even going
from a VGA resolution shell or game full screen back to desktop seems
steady.  It only appears the very moment the click to login/out takes place.

The reason I am asking is not that it is bothering me much but whether
such a behavior is indicative of "something", like when the cat passes
by the door a second time in matrix.

katrin