Re: Kernel Update on Stretch

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 01:46:08PM +0100, Sven Hartge wrote:
>> Daniel Bareiro <daniel-listas@gmx.net> wrote:

>>> Some time ago I read that Linux 4.x incorporates the feature to be
>>> updated without requiring a restart of the operating system.

>> Some Linux Distributions have such a feature. Debian is not one of
>> them.

> Actually, yes it is, you just need to install the user space tools.[1]

You misunderstood Daniel. He thinks of mechanisms like ksplice or
kpatch where you can alter/patch the running kernel without rebooting
the system.

> The facility is called "kexec" (named after the system call to
> 'EXECute a new Kernel', I suspect). Install the "kexec-tools" package
> and, if I'm reading that page correctly, the "reboot" command will be
> replaced by a kexec call (see the linked page, though, for precautions
> about your first reboot).

kexec still "reboots" the system, meaning the complete userland has to
be stopped before the new kernel can be started. You only gain time
because you don't have to wait for the UEFI/BIOS, RAID cards, network
cards, etc. to initialize.

Grüße,
Sven.

--