Re: Kernel Update on Stretch

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 01:46:08PM +0100, Sven Hartge wrote:
Daniel Bareiro <daniel-listas@gmx.net> wrote:

Some time ago I read that Linux 4.x incorporates the feature to be
updated without requiring a restart of the operating system.

Some Linux Distributions have such a feature. Debian is not one of them.

Actually, yes it is, you just need to install the user space tools.[1]

The facility is called "kexec" (named after the system call to 'EXECute a new Kernel', I suspect). Install the "kexec-tools" package and, if I'm reading that page correctly, the "reboot" command will be replaced by a kexec call (see the linked page, though, for precautions about your first reboot).

[1] wiki.debian.org/BootProcessSpeedup#Using_kexec_for_warm_reboots

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.