Re: [FOLLOW-UP] Re: Having scanned set of installation DVDs...

Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 02/12/2017 09:26 AM, songbird wrote:
>> Richard Owlett wrote:

>>> I have that on my TO-DO list.
>>> There's an additional step - creating packages.gz so apt related tools look at
>>> it as a large DVD.
>>
>>   the package list is in there, should be no need
>> to regenerate it.
>>
>>   if your apt sources list points to the right
>> directory (use file not cd or dvd in the list)
>> it should find it and use it.
>
> We have different goals/assumptions.
> You are creating a directory for each CD/DVD.
> I have a situation in mind that mounting more than one directory would be a
> problem. Thus my solution for Jessie would take 13 DVDs and create one humongous
> pseudo-DVD.
> P.S. I've never been described as "normal", much less "typical" ;/

  but you do understand that i only had them copied
to one device, one mount point, one directory which
contained them all, but apt doesn't care, it scans
them all the one time when you update and then they
are available just like any other repository.

  really, i think you are doing more work than is
needed here for no real gain in anything that i
can determine.

  mounting the device as i did caused absolutely
no problems that i recall.

  each disk was an entry in the apt sources list,
but if i didn't need that device (it was an
external USB device so not always turned on for
use) i just commented out those lines in the apt
sources list.

  songbird