Re: An Odd File Name

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 11:06:24AM -0600, Martin McCormick wrote:
> 	I downloaded a file from a site using lynx and the file
> name is "InstallingGRFromSource#Using-the-build-gnuradio-script.gz"
> Actually, the double quotes are here for clarity but the name is
> as it appears including the # sign.  Ls sees it and rm -i would
> remove it if I let it but if I do:
>
> gunzip InstallingGRFromSource#Using-the-build-gnuradio-script.gz
>
> or
>
> ls InstallingGRFromSource#Using-the-build-gnuradio-script.gz
>
> bash can't find/see the file.

The # character is only a comment indicator in bash when it appears
at the start of a word, not in the middle.  That's why ls and rm have
no problem with it.  Therefore bash has no problem with it, because
clearly bash is passing the filename intact to ls and rm.

If gunzip has a problem with it, then I would suggest you simply rename
the file.