Re: Boot fails after stretch upgrade to linux 4.9.0

On 2017-02-04 19:26, Francesco Montanari wrote:
To sum up:
- using linux 4.8.0. I notice no problem.
- When I first booted linux 4.9.0, I got a TPM error message that I never
  had before. Disabling the security chip from BIOS solved it.
- The system does not boot as it gets stucked after loading some
  service (e.g., network manager).
- It boots in recovery mode, but freezes when passing the lspci
  command. It also freezes if I pass "systemctl reboot"
- Logs show error messages related to acpi, drivers, remount error of
  EXT4 partition (fsck did not find problems), and segfault related to
  gnome-session-f (https://is.gd/fMGaPr).

Comparing various logs of 4.8.0 vs 4.9.0 I didn't spot significant differences. As a test, I also tried to install the proprietary nvidia drivers and CPU microcode update packages, but things didn't change.

Thanks to an off-list exchange I managed to boot 4.9.0 in normal mode by deactivating the discrete graphic card (Nvidia Optimus) from BIOS. The integrated card is good enough for me anyway.

Best,
Francesco