Re: Question about wifi web service with debian

Le 12/02/2017 à 05:55, Doug a écrit :

On 02/11/2017 11:02 PM, Billy O wrote:
hello my name is William O'Brien

I have been using and researching debian for alittle while now and have been trying to access wifi I have tried several different ways and researched many tutorials and help sections with very little success and was wondering if you might be able to assist me with my problem.

so currently the computer I am trying to gain access with is a dell 1521
with Broadcom 4311

the debian os works fine. however the few ways I have tried don't seem to give me any closer to accessing wifi and may end up re installing the os

but am wondering if theres any expert advice you might be able to give on this subject.

--
William O'Brien
The Broadcom wifi boards are notorious! Windows has drivers for them, and in my experience Mint 7 KDE 64-bit LTE also does. (Both work "out of the box.") PCLinuxOS does not, and it is a

Seeing that you are using Deb, you might find it easier to switch to Mint, which also uses the deb install system, and is filewise compatible with Ubuntu, which as you probably know, was
a spinoff from Debian.

To some extent at least, Google is your friend. Put in Linux and Broadcom 4311 and you may find some help there. I'm sure you can access the PCLOS Forum without registering or signing
in, altho you can't post unless you do register. It is a pretty friendly user interface, with a search feature, so you should be able to find most of the Broadcom correspondence there.

Good luck! You're going to need it!

--doug

PS: If you can find a wifi board that's directly supported by Debian, it may be worth your while to buy one and plug it in. I think they're all pretty interchangeable. That would save you
hours of grief. I almost did that, but finally got it to work before I went to that extreme.
--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.--A.M.Greeley

Hello,

Try  with packages firmware-b43-installer from debian non-free repository( you need to add this repository either in synaptic or via /etc/apt/sources.list) , this package take care of downloading the firmware, see:

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/b43?s[]=bcm4311

@+Alex