Re: Problem with Mate's Top Panel

On 02/11/2017 07:44 AM, Curt wrote:
On 2017-02-11, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
After a default installation of Mate under Jessie there had been one icon and
three text labels on the left end of the top panel.
The icon was the same icon associated with "Main Menu" in "Add to Panel".
The three text labels were Applications, Places, and System.

I had a flaky mouse that generated random click events while moving. SOMETHING
was accidentally triggered.

Fix or replace.

Quoting myself "I had a flaky mouse..."
                  ^^^  ;/

I now have only the "Main Menu" icon. It has Applications, Places, and System as
submenus. I wish to return to the original configuration. How?

Reinstall for the umpteenth time.

Scorched earth is not always appropriate.
Each of my previous installs had a specific purpose - understanding a particular feature.

A reinstall would have no upside and two downsides:
  1. Failure to learn more of Mate's panels.
  2. Effort to recreate preferred configuration.

Side note: This is not the hardware previously used for my previous experimental installs. Its CPU failed after fan seized. This machine is my machine for routine use.

Thanks.

The "Help" system is very un-helpful. All I could find was a description of the
original configuration with nothing about restoring it if changed.

TIA