Re: dual-boot install question

On 02/09/2017 10:24 PM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
On 02/09/2017 05:11 PM, Lori . wrote:
/snip/
I'm really confused, if you can and or
have the time please guide me for the Dual Boot installation process. I've been a big follower of Debian Linux for 3 years. I don't know why this time
I'm having so many problems. Please respond when you receive this
message....Thank you

Hi Lori, you already had a bootable system and did not need the boot flag. What happens when you boot without the flash drive, just do a normal boot starting with the system off.? What you should see is a grub menu offering you the option to boot into Debian or Windows and it should timeout and boot into Debian.

You said that Windows will still boot. You're lucky. After one Linux install (not Debian, and not really recent) I found my Windows system deleted! And when you've upgraded to a present Windows system and don't have install disks and serial numbers, that's a real problem. Be VERY careful when you try to install Linux after Windows! It can be done, and I've done it since the problem, but BE CAREFUL! Not many options with a laptop, but on a desktop, I strongly recommend two hd or ssd drives, on e for each system. And disconnect the Windows drive when you install Linux. Sort out the Grub later--legacy grub is much easier to deal with.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.--A.M,Greeley