Re: Skype

On 08/02/17 11:49, deloptes wrote:
Very interesting. I log in to skype for web. It says at the top:
"Interested in richer and more integrated experience? Download the official
desktop app. Download"
When I "download" I get debian package "skypeforlinux-64-alpha.deb"
installing this creates
cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/skype-stable.list
deb [arch=amd64] https://repo.skype.com/deb stable main
and skypeforlinux runs with a somewhat newer theme, however sound is not
working for me - I just tried "Skype Test Call". Well it says it's Alpha,
so might be they'll release a working beta until 1. March.
Or it might be finally time to change to something else ... I evaluated
recently Tox...
Very interesting story - thanks
regards

I have not used it but, according to this Slashdot comment, "Skype for Linux" is Skype for Web in Chromium:
https://apple.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=10202241&cid=53802307

Sound works for me in Skype for Web under the non-free Chrome.

If the comment above is correct, I do not see the point of "Skype for Linux". A software product that contains a web browser so that it can connect to a single web site is in my view a deployment anti-pattern because it (1) duplicates the installation of software, and (2) defeats the purpose of the web (interoperability).

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director