Re: Skype

https://apple.slashdot.org/story/17/02/04/059204/microsoft-is-disabling-older-versions-of-skype-for-mac-and-windows-on-march-1

http://venturebeat.com/2017/02/03/microsoft-is-disabling-older-versions-of-skype-for-mac-and-windows-on-march-1/

https://blogs.skype.com/news/2017/02/03/the-skype-you-love-is-getting-better-download-it-for-free-today/

https://community.skype.com/t5/Linux/Skype-for-Linux-End-of-life/td-p/4586741
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/02/skype-for-linux-end-of-life-march
>
> I am hoping that Skype for Web will meet my needs. The interface seems
> clunkier, is missing some functionality, and chat history is discarded
> after a short time (30 days?). Core functionality seems to work.
>
> On the up-side, once Skype 4.3.0.37 is gone, I am one Brother printer
> driver away from ditching the entire i386 architecture.
>
> Kind regards,

Very interesting. I log in to skype for web. It says at the top:
"Interested in richer and more integrated experience? Download the official
desktop app. Download"

When I "download" I get debian package "skypeforlinux-64-alpha.deb"

installing this creates

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/skype-stable.list
deb [arch=amd64] https://repo.skype.com/deb stable main

and skypeforlinux runs with a somewhat newer theme, however sound is not
working for me - I just tried "Skype Test Call". Well it says it's Alpha,
so might be they'll release a working beta until 1. March.
Or it might be finally time to change to something else ... I evaluated
recently Tox...

Very interesting story - thanks

regards