Set resolution options without xrandr

In the past, of course I'd have dug up /etc/X11/xorg.conf with vi, and edited it, but there is no such file on this system (Jessie). I've been trying to use xrandr, but I'm clearly missing something that the instructions I'm finding on superuser isn't giving me. (http://superuser.com/questions/716795/how-to-adjust-the-screen-resolution-in-debian )

The worst thing is that it WAS on the proper resolution, then I had a PSU go south, so powered everything (including the monitor) down, while I went out to acquire a new PSU, and, upon rebooting after installing said new PSU, my screen res has gone from a beautiful 1680 x1050 to 1280x768 of some such crap, and looks awful, in my opinion. I didn't do anything to mess with it, so have no idea why it changed., and now the actual default for the monitor ( the 1680 x 1050 ) appears unavailable to xrandr

Thanks in Advance,
Tony

--
http://tonybaldwin.me