Re: 7->8: inexplicable difficulty discovering available package versions

David Christensen composed on 2017-02-03 23:30 (UTC-0800):

Felix Miata wrote:

I just did an apt-get dist-upgrade to reach Jessie 8.7 from Wheezy.

I am of the opinion that attempting an in-place major version upgrade of
an operating system or a service is folly.  The only reliable method is
to do a fresh install on another computer, and then migrate.

That sounds pretty much the opposite of the recommended installation method forSid - install prior release or unstable, then upgrade it to Sid.

This means you need at least three computers -- one that you are
migrating off, one that you are migrating onto, and one (or more) for
everything else you need to keep operational while you do the migration.
  Mobile racks and spare drives will help immensely.

I have lots of functioning computers, and a fair sized stash of extra HDs. All except one machine are multiboot. Installations average >10 per machine. I find upgrades are generally less painful that all the re-customization that fresh installs entail (especially when Zypper is the available upgrade tool). Clone partition, apply new UUID and label, reconfigure bootloader, fstab and sources, then upgrade. If there's a major malfunction, just re-clone and start over, not that big a deal. YMMV. :-D

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/