Re: 7->8: inexplicable difficulty discovering available package versions

Sven Joachim composed on 2017-02-03 20:54 (UTC+0100):

Thank you for your response!

On 2017-02-03 14:04 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

I just did an apt-get dist-upgrade to reach Jessie 8.7 from
Wheezy. It's still using 3.16 kernel and Xorg server 1.12.4. apt-cache
search linux-image shows me the various kernel versions to choose from
backports, but apt-cache search xserver-xorg-core produces a short
list with no versions. What am I doing wrong to not have been upgraded
to Jessie's Xorg server version, and why doesn't apt-cache search give
any version info?

My hunch is that you don't actually have an entry for jessie in your
sources.list, but only one for jessie-backports.  That is not going to
work well.

String heezy is totally absent from it:

deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main contrib non-free
deb http://mirror.xcer.cz/trinity-sb jessie deps-r14 main-r14
deb-src http://mirror.xcer.cz/trinity-sb jessie deps-r14 main-r14

Also, apt-get update produces a BADSIG GPG error for
jessie-backports. How does one go about cleaning that up?

Does this still happen after upgrading the debian-archive-keyring to the
jessie version?

I fixed GPG and Xorg version problems by simply doing 'aptitude dist-upgrade'. :-p

I still am vexed by attempts to discover versions of packages available from repos. :-(

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/