Re: Debian natively on Android device

On Wed, 01 Feb 2017 20:52:17 +0000
Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:

> Joe <joe@jretrading.com> writes:
>

> > It is certainly a worthwhile goal. I would consider using a
> > smartphone if I could put a sane OS on one, I have no interest in
> > them at the moment.
> >
> > Probably better a tablet, my current phone has real clicky buttons
> > and makes calls well, I'm not sure I'd give it up for one where the
> > numbers disappear part of the way through a '..press two for
> > sales..' rigmarole.
>
> In my understanding, nowadays' smartphones and tablets are just
> computers, of smaller sizes and different shapes.  So I wonder about
> GNU Debian Linux running on them as it does with desktop pcs and
> laptops.  You just boot those devices from CD or pendrive, and the
> installation can start...  And I wish I could the same with those...

My understanding is that at the moment, it's all very random. It's
relatively easy to do something inside a chroot, but still a bit messy,
with actually running native being limited to a handful of devices.
There's still a lot of 'we got Ubuntu running fine, but the sound didn't
work, or the wifi...', leaving the device unable to actually do very
much.

There are plenty of cheap tablets around now, even some running
Windows, which without doubt would run Debian. It's getting from here to
there which is the problem, and few of us have the kind of time that
might well be necessary, even assuming that drivers were available.
*Very* few of us could write a wifi driver.

--
Joe