troubles running a printer on Mint17.3 "Rosa"

dear Sirs and Madams
I'm afraid my question could be off-topic; but anyway I try all the same since Mint appears to have a strong relationship with Debian.

so, the matter is that I own an old laser printer Lexmark Optra e310. Few months ago I had to reinstall CUPS due to a bad mistake that made it completely out of service. After having restored CUPS I tried to join my printer;but although I got PPD from various sites as "nodevice.com" or "openprinting.org" none of them seems to run correctly.

Finally I set up the Optra as "generic" with PCL5; but this solution is quite unsatisfactory, too.

Can anyone give me any sort of help?

Thanks in advance.
Alberto

--