Re: Laptop randomly reboots

On 01/23/17 13:52, Sam Smith wrote:
Ah yes, the docs for this model are actually screwed up. When first
released, the chipset did in fact not support anything over 8GB (it
would simply not be seen). However they updated the motherboard to
support quad core i7. That also came with 16gb support built in.

Okay.  (Lenovo's web site is one of the reasons I don't buy their products.)

... I should note when I installed [the used motherboard], it had
quite a bit of corrosion on it, either from a spill or condensation
damage. So I already don't really trust it...

Yuck.

Do you have the original motherboard? The standard recommendation for running FOSS operating systems on laptops with Intel/ NVIDIA Optimus graphics is to switch off the NVIDIA graphics in the BIOS Setup. Xorg should then see the Intel graphics chip and use the intel driver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Optimus

But other than normal RAM testing tips (which I have already done a
bunch of), what I am really curious about is why does the machine
suddenly reboot? I've had genuine RAM issues in the past. On Windows
you'd get a blue screen. On Linux, you'd get the kernel panic screen.
But right now I  get a hard reboot. So does the kernel now reboot on
panic or something? How do I tell? Those are basically the questions I
have.

You might have a software problem. I believe Intel x86 processors start executing code at address zero after reset. If so, a software bug that jumps to a null pointer will cause a reboot. Confirming that idea would require tracing execution.

David