Re: An Embarrassing Progblem

Am 23. Jan, 2017 schwätzte S. P. Molnar so:

moin moin Stephen,

On 01/23/2017 01:38 PM, der.hans wrote:
grep PS1 ~/.bashrc ~/.bash_profile ~/.profile

Thanks for the answers.

I thought that i had the solution. Grep showed me that ps1 was only in .bashrc. After making a copy of .bashrc I removed the entire if ... fi section that contained PS1.

I added PS1="\u@\h >" to the end of .bashrc and sourced the file - it worked, in that terminal. However, if I open a new terminal (I'm using xfce4-terminal) the prompt is back to the corrupted one!

Ah, xfce might have a(n annoying) default setting. KDE had a similar
problem for a while. If so searching your home dir for the change won't
help as the default was either in a system config file or baked into the
binaries.

Perhaps search online for setting xfce environment variables.

I forget exactly what I had to do with KDE before, but it was a
configuration change to fix the default behavior.

ciao,

der.hans

Rebooting the computer doesn't solve the problem.

I have initiated a search of the entire file system for PS1= , although I suspecct it take a while.

--
#  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.PhxLinux.org/
#  C'est la Net - der.hans