Re: How to seperate grub devices?

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 12:05:06PM +0100, Hans wrote:
You all did not understand me, maybe caused by my bad English.

update-grub is ALWAYS changing grub.cfg on BOTH drives, same from which system
it is started. And I want it only have changed on THAT DRIVE, I am running AT
THE MOMENT. The other drive shall be then stayed untouched!

Then something is wrong with your system.

update-grub is a shell script which calls "grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg". (Evidence: https://sources.debian.net/src/grub2/2.02~beta2-22%2Bdeb8u1/debian/update-grub/)

grub-mkconfig generates a new configuration and outputs it either to stdout or to the file specified in the -o option. (Evidence: https://sources.debian.net/src/grub2/2.02~beta2-22%2Bdeb8u1/util/grub-mkconfig.in/)

There is no facility in either of these to output to TWO config files.

So, either you're using something like unionfs, or RAID mirroring or automatic file copying or something similar which is mirroring changes on one drive to another drive OR ELSE you actually only have one boot partition which both grubs point to.

Hope this makes it more clear.

Hans

--
For more information, please reread.