Re: Jessie or stretch for server

On Thu 12 Jan 2017 at 11:43:02 -0800, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 14:25:30 +0100 Dan <ganchya@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm going to install Debian on a file server (NFS and postgres) for a
> > small group of people. It will be in an intranet, no direct connection
> > to Internet.
> >
> > Should I install Jessie or Stretch? I've always used stable. My
> > understanding is that at this point Stretch is quite stable, the
> > versions of the packages won't change and there won't be major changes
> > in the packages, only security/bug updates.
>
> Jessie.  It's rock solid.  It's had years of bug and security fixes
> under its belt. Stretch is still in development. It's not even frozen,
> yet. That's tentatively scheduled for February.

No real argument there. We have a fact or two.

> > In a few months the Stretch Debian installation will automatically
> > become "stable". Is that correct?
>
> More than a few.  I expect it to become "stable" toward the end of this
> year, if luck smiles on it.

Sorry to use technical language, but your expectations are bollocks.

Now you can produce a stream of argument which supports your "end of
this year" assertion.

> > If I install Jessie I'll have to update very soon.
>
> Why?  Just because Stretch is the newest?  Or is it because, Jessie
> Is "old?"  "New" doesn't necessarily mean "better."  Just
> because it's old stable, doesn't mean it stops working.  I'm still
> using Wheezy. Works fine 99.9% of the time. (For example, I can't play
> Netflix on it. libnss3 library too old.)  It still gets security

That's a 100% failure for Netfix users.

> updates and bug fixes under the extended support program, and will
> continue to do so until Stretch is released as the new stable.

Wheezy doesn't get bug fixes (not in the sense you imply).

> Besides, you can always dist-upgrade "in situ," when or if, it becomes
> necessary.

If "new" in Debian doesn't mean "better", what does it mean?

--
Brian.