Re: Jessie or stretch for server

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 14:25:30 +0100 Dan <ganchya@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm going to install Debian on a file server (NFS and postgres) for a
> small group of people. It will be in an intranet, no direct connection
> to Internet.
>
> Should I install Jessie or Stretch? I've always used stable. My
> understanding is that at this point Stretch is quite stable, the
> versions of the packages won't change and there won't be major changes
> in the packages, only security/bug updates.

Jessie.  It's rock solid.  It's had years of bug and security fixes
under its belt. Stretch is still in development. It's not even frozen,
yet. That's tentatively scheduled for February.

> In a few months the Stretch Debian installation will automatically
> become "stable". Is that correct?

More than a few.  I expect it to become "stable" toward the end of this
year, if luck smiles on it.

> If I install Jessie I'll have to update very soon.

Why?  Just because Stretch is the newest?  Or is it because, Jessie
Is "old?"  "New" doesn't necessarily mean "better."  Just
because it's old stable, doesn't mean it stops working.  I'm still
using Wheezy. Works fine 99.9% of the time. (For example, I can't play
Netflix on it. libnss3 library too old.)  It still gets security
updates and bug fixes under the extended support program, and will
continue to do so until Stretch is released as the new stable.

Besides, you can always dist-upgrade "in situ," when or if, it becomes
necessary.