Re: two graphics cards and two monitors

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 12:43:02AM +0900, Mark Fletcher wrote:

> So a generic graphics card circa 2009, with a nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+
> chipset, with an old D-type connector, a DVI connector, and an HDMI
> connector -- would you expect it to be able to drive more than one
> display? Given the manual is long since lost and was in a foreign
> language anyway, any way to interrogate the card to see its
> capabilities?
>
> I used to use the DVI connector to connect to the monitor, then later
> switched to the HDMI, and didn't have to do anything except plug in the
> right cable at both ends to do that. So clearly, out of the box the same
> image is being fed to all ports. Any way to find out if it is capable of
> being cleverer than that?

I would expect it to be able to drive two monitors with
different pictures, and possibly three.

If you are using open drivers, `xrandr` should be able to list
the available outputs and modes and change between them.

If you are using proprietary NVidia drivers, "nvidia-settings"
should be able to work for you.

-dsr-