Re: two graphics cards and two monitors

On Wed, Jan 04, 2017 at 10:43:10PM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> Mark Fletcher composed on 2017-01-04 23:30 (UTC+0900):
>
> >I've seen several people say or imply this in the past. But I have an
> >ignorant question I am almost too embarrassed to ask (almost). Most
> >normal cards have only one connector of each type.
> AFAIK, those with only one standard connector, unless that connector is a
> DisplayPort, can only ever be used for displaying the same thing on each
> screen, typically called mirroring.
>
> >So how are you
> >plugging in 2 monitors -- one into the HDMI and one into the DisplayPort
> >/ DVI / whatever connector???
> Many graphics adapters have multiple output ports that can be used
> simultaneously, and these can typically be configured to produce entirely
> unrelated things, or different portions of a single desktop too large to fit
> on one screen.

So a generic graphics card circa 2009, with a nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+
chipset, with an old D-type connector, a DVI connector, and an HDMI
connector -- would you expect it to be able to drive more than one
display? Given the manual is long since lost and was in a foreign
language anyway, any way to interrogate the card to see its
capabilities?

I used to use the DVI connector to connect to the monitor, then later
switched to the HDMI, and didn't have to do anything except plug in the
right cable at both ends to do that. So clearly, out of the box the same
image is being fed to all ports. Any way to find out if it is capable of
being cleverer than that?

Mark