Re: Failure searching for file known to exist

On 1/9/2017 8:08 AM, David Wright wrote:
On Mon 09 Jan 2017 at 00:23:47 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:
Environment: Jessie with Mate DE
Background: Doing an atypical install of SeaMonkey using the generic
Linux version.

I could not remember where "profiles.ini" was stored. As my
reference information was on another system, it appeared easier to
use the search function of the file manager.

What file manager?

Whatever the GUI file manager that is installed when using the installer on DVD 1 of 13 and specifying Mate as the desktop.

I now have an additional piece of information and a "possible solution" if the phrase is interpreted VERY loosely.

I customarily invoke the file manager by clicking on either the Computer icon or that of the Home folder for current user.

I *RARELY* use the drop-down menu under "Applications" for anything. The four or five icons need to launch the appropriate program. Those icons serve >95% of my needs. The most used icon is the one to launch a terminal window.

Today,for the first time ever, I clicked on the "Search for files menu entry".
It requires that you specify if you wish to search hidden folders.

Thus I would lean towards classing the problem as a "bug" rather than a "feature".

I chose "file system" as starting point and entered "profiles.ini"
in the search bar.
No success whether logged in as a normal user or as root.

The file DOES exist.
the complete path is
/home/richard/.mozilla/seamonkey/profiles.ini

A little experimentation demonstrated that the apparent trigger was
that the target file was in a "hidden" folder.
As the file manager preferences were set to display hidden files and
folders, I expected search to actually SEARCH!

Is this a bug or a "feature"?
Is there a work-around?

Cheers,
David.