Re: systemd requires "plymouth" on server? (was: Systemd: no error but "maintenance mode")

On Sun 08 Jan 2017 at 15:56:36 (+0100), Steffen Dettmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> main problem was the disk indeed! Apparently there was a typo in
> fstab, probably leading to a parse error (which isn't shown
> unfortunately) then the value "0" in the "pass" row for fsck
> apparently is ignored and "1" is assumed instead, BUT systemd does not
> call fsck! fsck parsed the line as intended (pass=0 -> no check), so
> is all fine.

Why would fsck parse /etc/fstab?

> I tested with pass=1, then fsck has correct error
> behavior and logs a clear error message. But systemd tries to do
> things itself and then the chain of bugs and odds start. Maybe systemd
> should be dropped until properly implemented (or superseeded).
>
> I think actually this is the main bug: systemd uses /etc/fstab like
> fsck and friends do, but wrongly (differently). This even seems to be
> a known issue (google found quite a lot of related rants).
>
> Does it make sense to submit a bug report at least for the most
> important bugs? Probably not, because the issues seem to be known
> already?

man fstab   in jessie is pretty long in the tooth (from the days of
lenny) and might have some clarification of how systemd scans it,
which does seem to differ from sysvinit's approach.

Similarly, both   man fstab   and   man mount   could benefit from
more gloss on (no)auto and nofail. Compare the terse "nofail"
entry with the following one on "relatime" which discusses
kernel versions.

How essential it was to read §5.6.1 in jessie's release notes!
I think they might usefully have added here a recommendation to
check /etc/fstab thoroughly for non-compliance with the stricter
behaviour of systemd. I got caught out by systemd's acting upon
cruft that sysv happily ignored as redundant.

A bug report would involve an explanation of exactly what you
think the bug is, without the words "apparently", "probably",
"assumed", "intended", "do things itself", etc.

Cheers,
David.