Little question grep

Hi all,

I have a little problem with using grep.

The problem:

I have a wordlist with 3,5 Mio words in ASCII. No I want filter out all words with 5,6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 signs in seperate lists. The wordlist contains all sort of signs, like alphanumeric, control signs like "^", "]" and others.

So it must be same, whatever sign grep reads. I found this:

grep -o -w -E '^[[:alnum:]]{5}' file1

But it looks like it is only grepping text. I read the manual of grep, and I see, there are more options to chose. But I did not completely understand, if I have to chose every option in addition or if is there an option,which covers every kind of sign.

Would be nice, if someone could make this a little bit brighter for me.

Thank you for any hints.

Best regards

Hans