Re: Broken apt-get/dpkg

On 2017-01-07 19:01 +0000, Kelly Harding wrote:

> So, I've been having troubles recently with finding the /var partition
> being too small and needing to purge stuff from it to allow processes
> to work properly, etc. I intend to do a fresh install to a SSD with a
> bigger /var to avoid this, however in the meantime until I do this I
> seem to have deleted something I shouldn't (oops!) and broken a
> package called cacti.
>
> I get the following errors if I try to do any upgrades or try to
> remove the cacti package (in the hopes of removing the problems).
>
> dpkg -r cacti
> dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'cinnamon-session' missing;
> assuming package has no files currently installed

This is bad, because dpkg no longer knows which files belong to the
package in question.  When you upgrade or remove the package, files will
be left behind on your system.

>  missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
> dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libmtp-runtime' missing;
> assuming package has no files currently installed
> ckage has no files currently installed
> dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'rtkit' missing; assuming
> package has no files currently installed
> dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libstreamanalyzer0'
> missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
> dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'qtmultimedia5-dev:amd64'
> missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
> dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libgucharmap-2-90-7'
> missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
>
> -- lots more of similar cut --
>
> dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libavahi-core7:amd64'
> missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
> (Reading database ... 12814 files and directories currently installed.)

12814 files is way too few for a desktop system, so probably many
(most?) *.list files in /var/lib/dpkg/info have gone AWOL.

> If it comes to it that I need to do the fresh install to the ssd to
> fix this mess up then so be it, but not feeling too well atm I've been
> putting that off until I was feeling well enough.

You could try to reinstall all the packages without a files list file,
but that could mean downloading them and filling up /var again.  So I
would probably go for a fresh install which ensures that no cruft
remains on the system.

Cheers,
       Sven