Broken apt-get/dpkg

So, I've been having troubles recently with finding the /var partition
being too small and needing to purge stuff from it to allow processes
to work properly, etc. I intend to do a fresh install to a SSD with a
bigger /var to avoid this, however in the meantime until I do this I
seem to have deleted something I shouldn't (oops!) and broken a
package called cacti.

I get the following errors if I try to do any upgrades or try to
remove the cacti package (in the hopes of removing the problems).

dpkg -r cacti
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'cinnamon-session' missing;
assuming package has no files currently installed

 missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libmtp-runtime' missing;
assuming package has no files currently installed
ckage has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'rtkit' missing; assuming
package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libstreamanalyzer0'
missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'qtmultimedia5-dev:amd64'
missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libgucharmap-2-90-7'
missing; assuming package has no files currently installed

-- lots more of similar cut --

dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libavahi-core7:amd64'
missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
(Reading database ... 12814 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing cacti (0.8.8b+dfsg-8+deb8u6) ...
dpkg: error processing package cacti (--remove):
 subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 10
dbconfig-common: flushing administrative password
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 10
 cacti

If it comes to it that I need to do the fresh install to the ssd to
fix this mess up then so be it, but not feeling too well atm I've been
putting that off until I was feeling well enough.

Thanks in advance,

Kelly