Re: hotpluggable member of a bridge

Le 05/01/2017 à 17:32, Reco a écrit :

Joshua Schaeffer <jschaeffer0922@gmail.com> wrote:

A sample configuration would be:

allow-ovs br0
iface br0 inet4 static
        address …
        netmask …
        ovs_type OVSBridge

allow-br0 eth0
iface eth0 inet6 auto
        ovs_type OVSPort
        ovs_bridge br0

allow-hotplug usb0
iface usb0 inet6 auto
        ovs_type OVSPort
        ovs_bridge br0

Pardon my ignorance, can you explain why you set an IPv4 address on your
bridge and an IPv6 address on your bridge interfaces?

I wondered the same.

It's simple, although isn't obvious from this abridged example.

No it's not.

I need a single IPv4 for both interfaces, so I set it on a bridge.
I don't need distinct IPv4 on ports, so I don't set it there.

This has nothing to do with IPv6 config.

Bridged interfaces retain their MACs, so they would get different IPv6
ULAs, which are provided by radvd from the different host.

Not if they are bridged before they are brought UP or accept_ra/autoconf is disabled.

And get myself all kinds of unneeded trouble, or I can do:

allow-br0 eth0
iface eth0 inet6 auto
	autoconf 0
	accept_ra 0
        ovs_type OVSPort
        ovs_bridge br0

Ok, THIS, provides the missing info from your previous post : disable autoconf and accept_ra.

But according to man interfaces(5), the inet6 "auto" method ignores the "autoconf" option. This option is specific to the "static" method.