Re: hotpluggable member of a bridge

Interesting, thanks for the explanation.

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 9:32 AM, Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:
        Hi.

On Thu, 5 Jan 2017 09:19:35 -0700
Joshua Schaeffer <jschaeffer0922@gmail.com> wrote:

> > A sample configuration would be:
> >
> > allow-ovs br0
> > iface br0 inet4 static
> >         address …
> >         netmask …
> >         ovs_type OVSBridge
> >
> > allow-br0 eth0
> > iface eth0 inet6 auto
> >         ovs_type OVSPort
> >         ovs_bridge br0
> >
> > allow-hotplug usb0
> > iface usb0 inet6 auto
> >         ovs_type OVSPort
> >         ovs_bridge br0
> >
> > Reco
> >

> Pardon my ignorance, can you explain why you set an IPv4 address on your
> bridge and an IPv6 address on your bridge interfaces? I've never seen this
> before and would like to know what this accomplishes. Perhaps its a typo as
> I thought IPv4 was just set with "inet" and IPv6 was set with "inet6".

It's simple, although isn't obvious from this abridged example.
I need a single IPv4 for both interfaces, so I set it on a bridge.
I don't need distinct IPv4 on ports, so I don't set it there.

Bridged interfaces retain their MACs, so they would get different IPv6
ULAs, which are provided by radvd from the different host.
And I don't need these IPv6 either.

So, I can do:

allow-br0 eth0
iface eth0 inet manual
         ovs_type OVSPort
         ovs_bridge br0

And get myself all kinds of unneeded trouble, or I can do:

allow-br0 eth0
iface eth0 inet6 auto
        autoconf 0
        accept_ra 0
        ovs_type OVSPort
        ovs_bridge br0

Barring this IPv4/IPv6 difference, there should be no noticeable
outcome between 'inet manual' and 'inet6 auto'.

Reco