Re: [OT] on education [was]: Do have programs have poor documentation? (was ... Re: Why? -- "A Modest Proposal")

I know you are trying to EOT this, but, from someone trying to teach
high school English, ...

On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 7:40 AM, Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> wrote:
> Le duodi 12 nivôse, an CCXXV, deloptes a écrit :
>> No time to discuss too long with you
>
> [...]
> The truth is that the level has actually increased in developed
> countries: a greater proportion of people finish high school, a greater
> proportion of people access to higher education. The contents is also
> broader and more rewarding,

YMMV on the "broader" and "more rewarding" evaluation, in particular.

I see more information, less help actually using it. Actually, I see
institutional biases against helping the students learn to use the
information they get.

> people no longer learn by heart lists of
> battle dates and capital cities, they learn social mechanisms and
> geopolitics; they study literary works instead of minute spelling rules.
> They spend less time training to do three-digits multiplications by hand
> because they have calculators, and thus they have time to study
> statistics.
>
> Now, why do people think the level drops? There are several reasons.
>
> The simplest is this: they do not realize how much they evolved, they do
> not realize they were just as clueless and ignorant at the same age.
> [...]

I read stuff I wrote thirty-five years ago and wonder where that guy
has been all my life, sometimes.

Sure, I know more about what the stuff I wrote back then means. I have
more experience. But the writing itself, the concepts I was dealing
with, and the conclusions I drew back then, ...

My writing was technically good. I was focused on stuff that matters.
I knew what I was talking about even if I let a bunch of misguided or
even malignant teachers, managers, and experts convince me that I was
wrong for the longest time.

I communicate better with other people now, because of the experience.

The information, the knowledge itself are without value without experience.

And much of the current curricula and methodology really does seem to
discourage the children from experiencing things that are not out on
the social network or in their games.

(I'd love to have someone fund my startup for writing adventure games
that teach physics, math, history, etc., instead of just playing games
with it in ways that teach those who play the games that the real
universe is not fun. First, I have to write the business plan, I
suppose, ...)

--
Joel Rees

I'm imagining I'm a novelist: