Re: Do have programs have poor documentation?

Eike Lantzsch schreef op 01-01-2017 17:58:

Interestingly enough the motto of 33. Chaos Communication Congress in Hamburg was: "Works for me". They aimed at getting programmers out of their lethargy because their software not only has to "work for them" but also for everybody
else. An interesting write-up is here:
https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/33C3-Hacker-greifen-nach-der-grossen-politischen-Nummer-3579778.html?wt_mc=rss.ho.beitrag.rdf

It translates terrible to Dutch and I wish I could stil read German. The problem with the web these days is that the main language you already use (which for me would be English, like) improves while everything else falls.

Someone commented here about the education system for languages in the Netherlands?

I feel nothing much has changed and we still learn English, German and French in school. There is just no longer any opportunity to make use of it unless you are: on holiday or living in the east of the Netherlands (Germany). My German reading skills are now so poor even though I have had 6 years of formal education in it, that reading it takes too much trouble if it is longer than a paragraph and I prefer to use Google Translate to just scan the text.

"Nun lautet das Kongressmotto "Works for me", was für eine unter Software-Entwicklern verbreitete egozentrische Haltung stehen soll, dass man selbst von einem technischen Fehler nicht betroffen sei und es sich dabei folglich um ein Problem anderer Leute handle."

I wish it would be possible to talk to more reasonable people like that. Linux has been for me an advent in unreasonability lately. Most people engaging in Linux only try to promote it. Of course what they mean is the attitude of the open source developer.

Regardless on the topic of documentation.

Many programmers simply lack the ability to still look at their program from the outside.