Re: productivity tips

[Sat, 31 Dec 2016 18:10:22 -0500] kamaraju kusumanchi
<raju.mailinglists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would you like to share some Debian tips that made a significant
> impact to your productivity in 2016? Things that you wish you had
> known earlier.

Well, it is probably not very ``productive'' but still something I
would have liked to know earlier:

	/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99masysma.conf
	Dpkg::Progress-Fancy "1";
	APT::Color "1";

This adds progress bars to APT which is handy to estimate how long the
update will run.

> 2) Searching command line history using glob patterns
> Basically, when reverse searching the command history using ctrl-r,
> you can use glob expressions in the search by adding the following
> lines to zshrc.

[...]

> AFAIK only zsh has this functionality.

JFTR, in Bash you can do $ set -o vi (I have this in my bashrc) and then
[ESC] /pattern [ENTER] to search the history for regular expressions.
Just like in VI, the next result is found by pressing `n` :)

A useful Debian application I ``found'' in 2016 was `dnsmasq`. I had to
test a network-enabled device in an environment where the only other
computer I had was my laptop and with `dnsmasq` I could setup a
realistic network between them (where the device takes its IP via DHCP).

I would have liked to know this earlier because I sometimes had to cope
with unreliable DHCP from my router and having an own DHCP server
available if the router DHCP fails would have been a time-saver at
least.

Happy new Year
Linux-Fan

--