Re: Do have programs have poor documentation? (was ... Re: Why? -- "A Modest Proposal")

Lisi Reisz schreef op 31-12-2016 10:37:

Yes, I know, I am not good at it.

That makes you insincere as well because you do not even agree with what you say, you do not even agree with your own wisdom. You do one thing and say another, which makes me feel you realize *deep down* that I am actually saying something valid here ? ;-).

His attacks on me and Catherine may or may not be justified (and I would like to think that we are both significantly better writers than he is), but they
are certainly ad hominem and OT.

Lisi

I will certainly agree my writing is much worse than what it was in the past.

But someone's devious style in argumenting. Trying to derail the topic by talking about irrelvant things. That ARE completely off-topic such as the history of science.

Trying to get away from the subject matter at hand because it is too uncomfortable or something, I don't know.

If someone is not being respectful in their style of reasoning and argumenting you are allowed to call them out on it, that is not being disrespectful and that is not an ad hominem. Is what I just want to say.

I wanted to say something else but I messed up my writing here.

I just want to say that calling someone out on their behaviour is not an ad hominem, it is calling someone out on their behaviour. It is a different thing. I don't disagree with catherine based on her arguments, in that sense of not allowing anyone to have arguments of their own, or the right to make arguments as much as they like, or the right to stand behind it. But I grow a bit tired if people keep saying the same thing and or these insults such as:

"and that you wanted your specific solution laid out for you in the man page instead of figuring it out yourself"

and "should abandon the noob mindset".

Those are just insults to begin with and they ARE ad hominems in actual fact.

Thomas Schmitt goes out of his way to say that he is not a noob, but can rather be an outsider to some other program he is not yet familiar with. That is a defense to that accusation right there.

If you can't win this argument except by calling people noobs, that's on you.