Re: *WHY* does Debootstrap wiki page point Users to Ubuntu?

On 11/28/16, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 28 November 2016 12:54:08 Henning Follmann wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 06:43:54PM -0500, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
>> > Hi, All :)
>> >
>> > Please forgive me if I have simply missed the memo where we bought
>> > Ubuntu or Ubuntu bought Debian to where this is an appropriate move.
>> >
>> > So what had had happened was... I've been attempting to debootstrap
>>
>> [...]
>> No error message, no description what you did..
>>
>> > https://wiki.debian.org/Debootstrap
>> >
>> > Toward the bottom of the page there...
>>
>> Is *ONE* example how to install ubuntu via dbebootstrap. And ubuntu is a
>> debian based distribution, why in fact debbootstrap works.
>> The rest of the page however is about debian.
>>
>> I think you are overreacting a bit.
>
> I think you are obviously an Ubuntu supporter or fan.  I'm with Cindy.  It
> is
> creeping insidiously.

Thank you, Lisi. I don't think I'm overreacting at all.

This thread was generated... with the primary focus being the subject
line. This is about a Debian user discovering that a Debian project
wiki installation webpage has a how-to tip for installing a
competitive non-Debian named operating system.

Yes, I understand that the Debian Wiki is *our* user wiki (that
appears) editable by all. Under those circumstances, opinions and
personal passions do play their part in the placement of tips and
advice found within.

If placement of that particular how-to tip in question was an
executive decision made collectively by Debian Developers, then so be
it. In that case and again, it wasn't just a snark when I originally
said I obviously just missed the related memo.

If placement of that particular tip was a proud, unified Developer
decision based on mutually gratifying, open, interactive,
backscratching, cross platform operating system development activities
with that other distro, what a wonderful World this has become. If it
is such, this user would abide by that decision by proceeding with all
future personal Debian usage decisions based accordingly.

As to the previous reply that no error message was given in my
original post, I did in fact include exactly what occurred. Upon
pursuit of the completion of a debootstrap installation via terminal
command line interface steps that have been previously, repeatedly
successful, chroot presents a user called..... "I have no name!".
Period.

When I chose to proceed with this latest installation attempt under "I
have no name!"'s identity, two commands later apt-get subsequently is
reported as not found. With administrative permissions/rights in mind,
it's a no-brainer that the secondary apt-get not found issue will most
likely be corrected by unearthing what recent Debian upgrade change(s)
caused chroot's user "root" to suddenly lose his/her name identity.

For anyone who's never been there and might wonder, no, it's not
possible to attempt sudo just this second. I just did. I first thought
to add a new user, and that failed because "I have no name!" can't
open /etc/passwd. It's a logical evolution in errors.

Starting to feel like I'm in an Abbott and Costello Who's on First
comedy film parody. I next attempted sudo and su for user "I have no
name!". Su responded back:

"su: Cannot determine your user name."

The error portion that evolved into this thread did not just happen on
one setup. I'm currently working from within a secondary one that is
different enough to form some kind of conclusion in that respect. No,
not scientific, but factors such as upgrades have been being performed
at least somewhat differently enough to feel it's more potentially a
singular package (upgrade?) problem.

But all that said, this really isn't about the errors at all. As has
been my methodology for many years, I'm addressing those glitches
privately as just the latest in my programming self-education. It is
my opinion that the errors I experienced remain notable with respect
to all else because those errors prevent the installation of a new
Debian setup right from the very start.

Specifically about this thread: My mention of the fact that a very
basic install method for Debian was suddenly uninstallable after
several years of NO problems was to impart that message in tandem with
the fact that.....

When one then *logically* visits the associated DEBIAN Debootstrap
wiki page for hints on correcting show stopping, unordinary
installation errors, *one then finds*.... the ailing installation
package's wiki page offers a how-to tip on installing a competitive,
non-Debian named distribution.

Lisi's "creeping insidiously" observation is why I also bumped that
other thread, "Stretch Alpha 8 netinst fails" [1]. Here we go again
where installation of Debian is failing albeit via a different install
route this time.

Installation issues overall are not a new topic with the "Stretch
Alpha 8" thread's on-list exchange being unfortunately brief. That
brief conversation ended with a second user presenting a similar tale
of woe with an expressed outcome being a (seemingly recent) migration
to the same competitive operating system found referenced on the
Debootstrap installation wiki page.

Not long ago, there was a highly questionable barrage of emails
against a Debian-Security list. That onslaught involved a *very high*,
not-oft seen number of emails publicly targeting that list with user
unsubscribe messages.

That unbelievable number of people all suddenly simultaneously
incapable of finding *any* other way to unsubscribe from a highly
technical listserv was... *interesting*. One implied message that an
outsider could easily garner from those *numerous*, en masse public
unsubscriptions was that people were bailing on Debian in droves.

Hm, yeah. Something's definitely "creeping insidiously". Indubitably.

Cindy :)

[1] Stretch Alpha 8 netinst fails

Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with plastic sporks *