Re: set domain name in Debian `

> On Nov 11, 2016, at 3:45 PM, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
>
> I think we still do not have the terms of reference straight.
>
> First of all, it's a server. Who is it serving? People within the local
> network only, people out on the Net, or both?

Both. It's on the 'Net, but it's also where the email comes in.

And do you guys need to know it's a /29 namespace with fixed IPs on a T1 connection?

> You're replacing an older server. If you are serving to the Net, are
> you on a new ISP connection or still the one which has worked until
> now? I.e., has the public IP address and any external DNS changed?

Same ISP, new piece of wire, new IPs, new domain name (I have slsware.com/net/org -- I'm moving from .net to the unused .org.) At the old place, I NAT'ed the globals to 1918 IPs on a DMZ and a LAN.

> Are there DNS servers out on the Net which hold information for this
> domain?

Not yet. I haven't told the registrar about the new nameserver IPs.

I just configured DNS. BIND says there are no errors. But there are; I deleted the SFP records from all the virtual domains to make it shut up. I haven't yet tried to figure out why BIND was unhappy with the SFPs. Nor have I tested it significantly. But DNS is there.

> If so, using a local DNS server with records for other local
> hostnames on the same domain becomes problematic,

I've done that for years with no problems. They're sometimes even the same host/IP, with different names. If you ask for a function, you get the IP. If you ask for a reverse on an IP, I don't know what you get. I have a feeling that I should go the CNAME route (and I have more recently), but I've never really needed to.

> and the question of
> what IP address is returned if you ask for the usual hostname of your
> public IP address may be dependent on the behaviour of your router.

No. The router has nothing to do with it, in my experience. I don't do DHCP, not at the server anyway, and the router has no DMS table(s).

> To sum up, we need to know who sees this domain, and from where, and
> for what services.

Everybody, internal (LAN, DMZ) and external (WAN).

Same: internal and external.

For your standard 'Net services (HTTP, SMTP, SSH, FTP, IMAP, POP3, etc.)

--
Glenn English