Re: Partial Success [was: Re: Problems with upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie]

On Sat 08 Oct 2016 at 13:50:19 +0200, Hans Kraus wrote:

> after following the propositions of Brian:
> >
> > dpkg -l | grep fglrx
> >
> >Lines with "ii" indicate installed packages. Purge and see what a reboot
> >does.
> and Jörg-Volker Peetz:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I also saw the other e-mail exchange with Brian where you concluded to
> purge all
> > "fglrx"-related packages. Similarily, there seem to be "nvidia" packages
> on your
> > system. Try
> >
> >  dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia
> >
> > Purge them also. Then have a look which xorg-video drivers are left:
> >
> >  dpkg -l | grep xorg-video
> >
> > Leave only xserver-xorg-video-radeon on the system.
> >
> > And have a look if there's still an "glx-alternative" package left, like
> > glx-alternative-mesa. This could also be purged.
>
> I issued:

[Account of package purging snipped]

> Which partially solved my problems. The system is now booting into Gnome
> again.

This is a fantastic step forwards. Before you had nothing, now you have
something. Why the original issue occured is a mystery. Why it was cured
is also a mystery.

> A problem remains: the contents of the screen (I controlled only text
> based ones like Thunderbird) are sometimes overwritten. This happens for
> lines where the text is partially overwritten with other text (normally
> or skewed) and line backgrounds. The contents are restored if I move the
> mouse pointer to the distorted parts.
>
> This looks like a driver issue to me. Is there a better mailing list to
> cope with these problems as 'debian-user'?

But now the proposition is very different. We know you cannot have that
much of a driver problem because you can boot into GNOME. But you think
you have. Maybe its so. Let's eliminate GNOME.

Boot and do 'ps ax | grep xinit'. Kill xinit with 'kill process_number'.
Install fvwm and xterm (you can purge them later). Issue the command
'startx'. Check that nothing gnomish is running with 'ps ax | grep gnome.

Start an xterm (right or left click, I forget which). Any problems?
Start iceweasel (firefox) from an xterm. Any problems? Read a few man
pages. Any problems? Play with opening any program on your system. Any
problems? Which program? What are the symptoms?

--
Brian.