Partial Success [was: Re: Problems with upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie]

Hi,

after following the propositions of Brian:

 dpkg -l | grep fglrx

Lines with "ii" indicate installed packages. Purge and see what a reboot
does.
and Jörg-Volker Peetz:
> Hi,
>
> I also saw the other e-mail exchange with Brian where you concluded to purge all > "fglrx"-related packages. Similarily, there seem to be "nvidia" packages on your
> system. Try
>
>  dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia
>
> Purge them also. Then have a look which xorg-video drivers are left:
>
>  dpkg -l | grep xorg-video
>
> Leave only xserver-xorg-video-radeon on the system.
>
> And have a look if there's still an "glx-alternative" package left, like
> glx-alternative-mesa. This could also be purged.

I issued:
root@robbe:/etc/X11# apt-get purge fglrx-atieventsd fglrx-driver fglrx-modules-dkms glx-alternative-fglrx libfglrx:amd64 libfglrx-amdxvba1:amd64 libgl1-fglrx-glx:amd64

root@robbe:/etc/X11# apt-get purge glx-alternative-nvidia libegl1-nvidia:amd64 libgl1-nvidia-glx:amd64 libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 libgl1-nvidia-glx-i386 libgles1-nvidia:amd64 libgles2-nvidia:amd64 libnvidia-eglcore:amd64 libnvidia-ml1:amd64 libnvidia-ml1:amd64 libxvmcnvidia1:amd64 nvidia-alternative nvidia-driver nvidia-driver-bin nvidia-glx nvidia-installer-cleanup nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-modprobe nvidia-settings nvidia-support nvidia-vdpau-driver:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-nvidia

root@robbe:/etc/X11# apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-radeon
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
xserver-xorg-video-radeon is already the newest version.
xserver-xorg-video-radeon set to manually installed.
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
  libxnvctrl0
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove it.
root@robbe:/etc/X11#
Which partially solved my problems. The system is now booting into Gnome
again.

A problem remains: the contents of the screen (I controlled only text
based ones like Thunderbird) are sometimes overwritten. This happens for
lines where the text is partially overwritten with other text (normally
or skewed) and line backgrounds. The contents are restored if I move the
mouse pointer to the distorted parts.

This looks like a driver issue to me. Is there a better mailing list to
cope with these problems as 'debian-user'?

Many thanks to all which helped me,
Kind regards,
Hans