Re: How to get Jessie to run at boot time -- Problem solved

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian" <ad44@cityscape.co.uk>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 9:40:11 AM
Subject: Re: How to get Jessie to run at boot time -- Problem solved

On Tue 13 Sep 2016 at 08:57:19 -0400, Alan McConnell wrote:

> Warning:  This E-mail is for the most part in the nature of a pushback against
> various insinuations that have been made.

Warning duly noted; most of this mail is snipped so we can concentrate
on the technical aspects of your issue.
         Excellent.

You were asked for some information. You declined to provide it. As a
route to solving a technical problem your response leaves a lot to be
desired.
         Did you read why I declined?  I repeat my reason for your benefit:
         getting information from my only partially installed Jessie means
         shutting down my Windoze OS(I'm writing this from my Windows OS),
         turning on my Jessie, and writing a bunch of detailed information on
         a piece of paper, shutting down Jessie and returning to Windoze and
         transcribing what my paper said to an E-mail.  That process requires
         a lot of error-prone steps, and you or someone else might have called
         for an iteration, which would have driven me up the wall.

The output of interest is from os-prober. You know what it, unless you
are so uninterested in seeking a solution you haven't even run it or are
keeping what it says to yourself.
         I ran os-prober.  I can't here reproduce what it gave me, but it
         didn't reveal the OS that came with the just purchased machine.
         Which leads me to my often-stated conclusion:  since the install
         program stated "No other OS can be found on this machine", the
         installer is broken.

You may be interested to know that the Debian Fairy has waved her magic
wand and made your machine dual bootable. From os-prober's changelog on
unstable:
         Good grief, Brian.  What I have is Jessie.  But it is good to
         know that attention is being paid to this issue, and the installer
         for stretch may be an improvement.

> Finally:  I have taken a resolution not to respond to further chastisement or smarm.
> Please help me to keep it!

I don't do smarm. If you perceived what I wrote to be that, it reveals a
weakness in my irony, sarcasm and mild insults modules.
         <LOL>  I did perceive it.  Advice: delete your ISMI module and pay
         more attention to your courteous and helpful module.  Which I'm sure
         exists<g>.

A final question:  I've used Wiktionary to learn that 'whinging' is the English
for what we Murricans call 'whining'.  Is it used a lot nowadays?  I don't recall
ever having heard it when I taught at Royal Holloway College back in 1967-68.

Alan