Re: Jessie & Fixed IP Address_Solved

On Fri, 2016-09-09 at 09:40 +0100, Joe wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Sep 2016 09:12:14 +0100
> David <david.g_jones@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>

> > Firstly an apology, I did not realise there was a Debian Jessie and
> > Raspbian Jessie.
> >
> > I'm working with Raspbian Jessie.
> >

> Debian is the root of many other distributions such as Knoppix and
> Ubuntu, and many less famous.
>
> Raspbian is one that rings bells because it is based on the ARM,
> which
> probably no full-sized computer is these days (the Acorn Archimedes
> series used it almost thirty years ago). The range of Debian packages
> ported to the ARM RISC architecture is significantly smaller than
> those
> for i386 and amd64, so some things have to be done differently. The
> limitations of the system-on-chip which composes almost all of the Pi
> hardware imposes further limitations, compared to general-purpose
> desktop hardware or even laptop hardware. The relatively small
> storage
> space available again imposes restrictions.
>
> So Raspbian may well be quite different to a stock amd64 Jessie,
> utilising many of the tricks of older days of computing to make the
> best of limited hardware.

Many thanks to all those that replied.

The problem was that the person who created the SD card for the Pi did
a few odd things, hence some things did not work.

One was reading the DNS server settings when in fixed IP mode,
resolv.conf was empty. Putting the Pi back into DHCP mode caused a
whole multitude of problems.

The thing learnt here is to wipe the SD card clean, I use GPARTED, then
write the image to the SD card, I use Susie Image Writer.

Just to confirm Raspbian Jessie is working correctly with the
instructions given previously to get it into fixed IP mode.

David.