Re: Jessie & Fixed IP Address

On Thu, 2016-09-08 at 12:42 -0500, Tim McDonough wrote:
> On 9/8/2016 12:08 PM, David wrote:
> >
> > I am working with a Raspberry PI running Jessie and I'm not happy
> > about
> > the solutions I found to change it from DHCP to a fixed IP address.
> >
> > Editing the file /etc/dhcpcd.conf does not seem to work correctly.
> >
> > Can I go back to the old method of editing /etc/network/interfaces
> >
> > Or is there a better way of setting a fixed IP on Jessie?
>
> Raspbian Jessie (not Debian Jessie) uses systemd by default. I found
> the
> following instructions worked well on my R-Pi 3 board:
>
> <http://www.circuitbasics.com/how-to-set-up-a-static-ip-on-the-raspbe
> rry-pi/>
>
> I too found it really confusing that many of the files we formerly
> used
> to configure networking are still present but have no effect. I do
> not
> know what all is involved in re-configuring to not use this newer
> method.
>
> Tim

Thank you for the replies.

Firstly an apology, I did not realise there was a Debian Jessie and a
Raspbian Jessie.

I'm working with Raspbian Jessie.

Having seen Tim's email I did some further searching and found some
suggestions which are to remove the daemon dhcpcd and edit the
/etc/network/interfaces file.

David.