Re: Debian server for backups of Windows clients

Hi, deloptes.

On 09/09/16 19:06, deloptes wrote:

>> Still, 20-24 Mbps is more than 10 Mpbs I was seeing with rsync. There
>> could be a bottleneck somewhere?

> In my case it was the IO on the disk - I couldn't do more than 12Mbps even
> on wired connection, because I have encrypted disk ... it took me a while
> to understand why though.

This is an interesting fact. Because 'orion' (the notebook used in the
mentioned test) also has an encrypted disk. In the test, the notebook
was pulling the files on the Windows VM on the wired network.

root@orion:~# dmsetup ls --target crypt
sda5_crypt      (254, 0)

root@orion:~# cryptsetup luksDump /dev/sda5 | grep Version -A3
Version:        1
Cipher name:    aes
Cipher mode:    xts-plain64
Hash spec:      sha1

viper@orion:~$ lsblk --fs
NAME             FSTYPE LABEL UUID MOUNTPOINT
sda
├─sda1                             /boot
├─sda2
└─sda5
  └─sda5_crypt
    ├─main-swap                    [SWAP]
    ├─main-root                    /
    └─main-datos                   /datos
sr0

I did not think this could affect so strongly in the network transfer.

Kind regards,
Daniel