Re: Installing Lenny -- how to deal with expired repo signing keys?

On Sep 10, 2016, at 3:41 AM, Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Download DVD1. Install a minimum system from it (if it has enough for you,
> build the whole system). In fact, the netinst will work and produce a
> _really_ minimal base system if you don't add a network mirror.
>
> Use apt-key add to add the expired keys if you must.
>
> Install whatever you need.
>
> At this point, I'd suggest doing this _only_ in a virtual machine to start with
> before doing this for real on the machine you intend to use long-term.
>
> Unless this is an absolutely "must do this on Lenny, nothing later will ever work
> and there's bespoke software that we must use and it must be on a real physical
> machine" it is probably worth moving this to a VM at some point / moving to a later
> version — given that Wheezy LTS expires in 2018 (that's current oldstable) and we'll
> be releasing Debian 9 early next year at which point you'd be three major versions
> behind.
>
> HTH,
>
> All the best,
>
> AndyC

Thanks Andy.  That worked perfectly!

See below for a full explanation (TL;DNR)

What I needed to do was unbrick a Marvel OpenRD/Ultimate machine.  But the current (Jessie/Stretch) version of the openocd package doesn’t talk to the USB serial/JTAG interface.  I’ll be submitting a bugreport for that.

When all was said and done, Lenny was too far back (openocd would talk to the device, but it didn’t have any config files for OpenRD).  What I really needed was Squeeze.

So this is what I did:

  Download and burn the squeeze DVD-1.

  Use it to install a minimal Squeeze on a spare disk in an otherwise unused Windows PC.  If I didn’t have the PC available, I probably would have used a VM, as you suggested.

  Follow the unbricking directions at
    https://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2835.0
  and then restore the boot-loader environment as described at
    https://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/openrd/install/

Big thanks! to Malcolm and James at NewIT and Debian’s own Martin Michlmayr for clear and straightforward instruction on the various parts of this process.

Happy ending: My OpenRD/Ultimate is back from zombie-land and feeling fine!

Enjoy!
Rick