Re: How to diagnose an "apt-get instal"l problem

On Fri, Sep 09, 2016 at 10:18:22AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> As root I attempted to do
>   apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-core
> It began normally but terminated with a file not found message
> before coming to the confirm installation step.

And the error message said...?

> To narrow down the problem source(s) I attempted to install a
> different program.

Instead of reading the error.  *sigh*

> How can I diagnose what went wrong when I attempted "apt-get
> install"?

By reading the error.

There is not enough information here to tell whether it was trying to
install a package that isn't physically included on your DVD, or
installing a package that exists but has an error in it, etc.