How to diagnose an "apt-get instal"l problem

I was experimenting with a custom minimal install.
[ALL installs are from purchased DVDs as I have minimal connectivity.] I installed Jessie (8.0.0) using expert mode on a machine set aside for experiments. I explicitly chose no desktop environment. The install proceeded normally.

From the Description in Packages.gz, mate-desktop-environment-core appeared to be appropriate for my needs.

As root I attempted to do
  apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-core
It began normally but terminated with a file not found message before coming to the confirm installation step.

To narrow down the problem source(s) I attempted to install a different program. It proceeded normally to the confirm install question.

Suspecting a damaged/defective DVD I then attempted a fresh install to the same partition. This time I chose the lxde desktop. Installation proceeded to a fully functioning install.

I then used Synaptic to install mate-desktop-environment-core.
It apparently completed normally. [I've not researched what I have to do to switch desktops.]

How can I diagnose what went wrong when I attempted "apt-get install"?

TIA