Re: How often are RealTek drivers brought up to date for Debian?

Hello Debian Support,

Thank you Dan Purgert for your answer. I asked whether RealTek drivers for
rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux, can be approved for Debian, because in Tails
documentation it says the following...

Install additional software

https://tails.boum.org/doc/advanced_topics/additional_software/index.en.html

'Tails includes a coherent but limited set of applications. More
applications can be installed as on any Debian system. Only applications
that are packaged for Debian can be installed. To know if an application
is packaged for Debian, and to find the name of the corresponding
software packages, you can search for it in the Debian package directory.

The packages included in Tails are carefully tested for security.
Installing additional packages might break the security built in Tails.
Be careful with what you install.'

I have installed the drivers for rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux manually, but
they get wiped on the very next time I shut my computer off.

Also Tails support warned me about the terminal commands for these
drivers, where they said....

"If it's not in Debian, we can't help. Moreover, you shouldn't install
Wi-Fi driver from unauthenticated sources (a github reporsitory on the
web)."

"Before any Wi-Fi driver is included in Tails, it has to be in Debian,
and not be a proprietary one."

"Unfortunately you should directly get in touch with Debian support
team, as this driver if correct should be included in Debian in order to
get to Tails."

The commands I am using in Debian and Ubuntu are...

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential git

git clone https://github.com/abperiasamy/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux

cd rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux

make

sudo make install

Dan, I've just noticed you are part of Github: https://github.com/dpurger.

Maybe you can recommend that the above commands could be considered for
Debian?

Thank you for your time and help.

Seb