Re: Debian Jessie : regular console instead of a hi-res one!

Le decadi 20 fructidor, an CCXXIV, Mayuresh Kathe a écrit :
> Is there any way to get a regular console under Debian Jessie?
> I don't use a GUI, just plain old CLI, and working on hi-res with "tiny"
> little fonts is extremely painful.
> I have tried playing with "console-setup". No results.

You probably need to inhibit the auto-loading of the kernel module
corresponding to your video controller.

But I advise against it: you will get stuck with the text mode emulation of
modern video cards, something very old and something that the vendors no
longer care about. You would probably get much better comfort by keeping the
framebuffer console and configuring it to use larger fonts.

In fact, even for CLI, if the box is not too old, I think you would be even
better of starting an X11 server with just a big XTerm taking all the
screen: in my experience, X11 terminal emulator are much more comfortable
than anything in the console.